Dentistry provided on the NHS is subsidised by the government. It’s not free (unless you have an exemption), but you still don’t pay the full cost of treatment. This does make NHS treatment is less expensive than private. Band 1 is currently £22.70, which covers you for your exam, diagnosis, x-rays and a scale and polish.
But there are limitations to NHS dental treatment: Not all treatments are covered under the NHS.
- it is focused around dental health and functionality and not aesthetics. You won’t find tooth whitening or implants on the NHS for example.
- it will offer you the basics in dental care
Due to time and budget constraints:
- care will focus on fixing current problems rather than a more long term and preventative view
- more cost effective materials and laboratories tend to be used for NHS work
- government imposes limits on the amount of NHS treatment each practice can provide each financial year via the UDA system. Dentists can therefore sometimes be limited in the treatment they can offer.
- It can sometimes be hard to find an NHS dentist who is taking on new patients, due to the government imposed treatment limits.
So what are the attractions of seeing a private dentist?
A Wide Range of Services – we have a much broader range of treatment options, and all from one location.
Preventative Care – We have time to plan for the future. We will not only fix current problems, but also consider the long term oral health
Quality Materials – We have access to a greater range of materials
Latest Equipment – We’re always looking for the next big thing in dentistry. It’s why we have The Wand!
Availability – We always endeavour to book your next appointment before you’ve even left the surgery, and try to have emergency appointments available on the day too
Speed – A key advantage of private dentistry is that we try to be more readily available and and to offer a service with shorter waiting times
Flexibility – While NHS provision tends to be 9-5pm, we offer a wide range with early morning, lunchtime, evening and weekend appointments
Choice – We have a fantastic team of GDPs waiting to see you, but if you have a preference, we will do what we can to get you booked in with a certain dentist… or nurse!
Quality Time – As a private dentist, we can allow for longer appointment times, so that we can fully assess oral and dental health and provide preventative care/advice alongside any restoration required. We try to get to know you as soon as you contact us for your first appointment, so we can tailor our service to your personal needs
Aesthetics – those interested in cosmetic treatments such as whitening, implants or invisible braces will need to find a private practice, as these are simply not available in the NHS
Private Dentistry Halesowen
Our popular treatments include:
- General Dentistry – checkups, hygiene and dental care for adults and children
- Root Canal – specialist treatment for root canal
- Dental Implants – replacement of teeth with titanium implants and porcelain crowns
- Gum Disease – care and prevention
- Tooth Whitening – safe and effective
- Veneers – to correct a variety of issues including colour, chips, cracks, gaps and shape of the teeth
- White Fillings – unlike traditional silver fillings, these are not noticeable at all. In fact, we don’t even offer silver fillings at all!
- Nervous Patients – we love you! We know that no ones favourite place is the dentist, but we want to make sure you’re as comfortable as possible throughout your treatment.
- Cosmetic Dentistry – veneers, whitening, crowns and more
Denplan from Simplyhealth will help you budget to allow all the family to benefit from our services!
An attractive dentistry membership scheme is available which includes dental examinations, hygiene, and discounts off treatment. However, patients are also welcome on a ‘pay as you go’ basis.
For more information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call one of our friendly team on 0121 550 6958.